Opened in 1961, Babcock Residence Hall is one of several standing tributes to the generosity and impact of the Reynolds family. It is named for Mary Reynolds Babcock, wife of Charles Henry Babcock and daughter of Richard Joshua Reynolds. With her husband, Mrs. Babcock donated more than 300 acres that became the modern campus of Wake Forest University. In 1959, six years after her death, the foundation created in her memory donated $50,000 that went toward the residence hall’s construction costs. The bee and flower icons on the hall’s seal are emblematic of Mrs. Babcock’s devotion to gardening.